![]() |
| Mama, Do You Love Me? by Barbara Joose |
At Josie’s going away party last Saturday, I read my own version of the book to her, in front of a crowd of family and friends who have
seen her through many of these adventures, and loved her through all of them -- almost as much as her dad and me. I share it with you now, on the eve of her departure for college, with her
permission.
Mama, do you love me?
Yes I do, Dear One.
How much?
More than the Streets love soccer,
More than Simon hates Little Libraries,
More than Emmie loves Spider-man,
More than Kanye loves himself.
How long?
Longer than Mount Rainier will stand to the South,
Longer than Seattle will drink coffee,
Longer than getting back from Ballard at midnight on the
bus,
Longer than Simon putting on his shoes.
Mama, what if I came squelching out of your body at four in the
morning, and I was all pink and wriggly with my arms waving and my big blue
eyes open wide, and I blinked up at you and Papa, like, “Where am I? What’d I
miss? Who are you? Who am I?”
Then I would hold you in my arms and stare down at you, and
I would think you looked exactly like my baby pictures, like I had just given
birth to myself. But then I would look into your eyes and I would know that you
were you, and I would know that I already
loved you more than I ever thought I could love anybody.
Mama, what if I wouldn’t go to sleep unless you lay down in my bed
and nursed me, and sang a ridiculous song about the cat trying to come into my
room, over and over again, and if you tried to sneak away before I was totally
asleep, I would scream?
Then I would be tired, baby. All the time, for years. But still I would love you.
What if you bought me a white frilly nightgown and I was so
excited to wear it I couldn’t even eat my dinner, but when it was time to put
the nightgown on and go to bed, I totally melted down and wailed like a
banshee?
Then I would be sorry you were having such a hard time, but
honestly, it would be kind of funny, and after you finally fell asleep I would
laugh about it with your Papa. And still I would love you.
What if I put ginger beer in a martini glass, and hid it at
the back of the toy shelf, so that when you shoved the crate of toy trains in
there, the glass shattered, and there was ginger beer and broken glass
everywhere?*
Then I would be angry. I would lose my shit, maybe, and yell
a lot. But still I would love you.
What if my snake died, under horrible circumstances that do
not bear repeating, and when it came time to bury him, my friends were all
shrieking and grossed out by the smell, but I calmly put on my rubber gloves
and clamped a clothes pin on my nose, and I reached into the glass terrarium
and pulled Fruitcake out and gently coiled him in his shoe box coffin?
I would feel very sad and guilty about the snake. But I
would be very proud of you. And still I would love you.
What if we were on vacation with some friends, and the other girls and I
made snotty remarks about how gross it would be if our parents went naked in
the hot tub after dinner?
Then I would be exasperated. I would put down my fork,
and look around at all the other parents. As one, we would rise to our feet,
take off all our clothes, and sit down again. We would pick up our forks and resume
eating our chocolate cake. And so would you, in utter silence. After dinner we
would go naked in the hot tub. And still I would love you.
Mama, what if I came running up to you in line at Ross Dress for Less
with a pair of vinyl six-inch stilettos that I wanted to wear to the middle
school formal, and I waved them at you wildly, with a huge hopeful grin?
Then I would roll my eyes and shake my head. I would turn to all the
other women in line with my eyebrows raised, and they would all nod and laugh
and back me up. But I would know in my heart that one day you would rock those
shoes. And still I would love you.
Mama, what if you found me and my friends smoking pot in the
basement?
I would be worried. I wouldn’t know what to do but I would
feel like I needed to do something.
I would call your dad, and he would be reassuring. And still I would love you.
What if we were out of town on Lopez Island for the weekend
and I told my friends our house was empty and where the spare key was, so they
could have a party there while we were gone?
Then I would be furious. I would feel betrayed. I
would remove the spare key from its hiding place when we got home, and then when you needed to get in
to get your rollerderby gear you wouldn’t be able to, and I would feel terrible. But still I would love you.
What if I burst in the door one night and told you that some
dickweed flashed me on the bus?
Then I would be angry and upset. I would feel helpless yet
also responsible, like I should chase the bus down and beat the guy up -- but
instead I would call Metro security. And the weirdest cop in the world would
come to our house to take your statement. He would stay for an hour telling us
irrelevant, vaguely threatening stories, and asking you bizarre, vaguely
inappropriate questions. And when he finally left, I would close the door
behind him and lean back against it and look at you, and we would both laugh so
hard we could barely breathe. And still I would love you.
What if I came home from a bar at two in the morning and stood
on the doorstep with Austin telling you about the hip hop show we went to and
the dance-off he won and the Andrew Wyeth book I bought in Harvard Square, and
I was so happy and excited I couldn’t stop talking, and I was kind of glowing?
I would stand there gazing at you and listening to you, and
I would remember all the years and years that I have looked at you and
listened to you and loved you. I would know that soon you would head out into
the world to live your own beautiful, crazy life, and that you would eat it all up -- every minute of it.
I would love you so much I wouldn’t be able
to sleep, and I would lie awake all night long thinking about how much I love
you.
I will love you,
Inside and out,
Upside down and sideways,
Forever and for always,
Because you are my Dear One.
*It was revealed at the party on Saturday that in fact Bronwen may have been the one who put the martini glass full of ginger beer at the back of the toy shelf. Well, Bronwen -- I still love you too.

3 comments:
I can't finish reading this right now. My eyes are all blurry.
<3
Your last beautiful lines just put me over the edge- and so now this mama of an almost 3 year old, has a sightline ahead. Thank you for sharing. So excited for Josie, whom we know from afar around the hood, as an inspired one
Post a Comment