- Ice cube trick
- Things in water
- Cold coffee with salt
- Toilet paper trick
- Alarm clock set to 4 am
- String everywhere
- Big Butt prank
- Bathroom destroy
- Tee Pee Josie's room
- Toilet Squirt
Naturally Simon's first instinct upon awakening (once he'd clambered out of his tangled room) was to retaliate against Josie's act of retribution by taping a set of horizontal strings across her doorway while she slept. He then tucked himself into a makeshift hideout with a view of her bedroom door and settled in to wait for her to wake up and open it.
After a while he enlisted my aid. "Can you make her get up?" he whispered to me, as I hauled another basket of laundry past his lair.
"Josie!" I called through the door, "the Bellevue Skate King opens at noon -- do you want to go over there today?"
"Yeah..." came her groggy reply. "But Mom, will you come in here a minute?"
Simon and I grimaced at each other: What now?! I stammered something lame about being in the middle of something, and it might be a minute.... Simon crouched anxiously behind the banister. And then she came out! It was a satisfying moment.
Half an hour later the three of us were gathered in the kitchen. I had just finished putting indoor wheels on my skates, and was making a pot of coffee so I could fuel up before we headed for Bellevue.
"Simon, did you have breakfast?" Josie asked casually.
"Yeah, I had peanut butter toast," he said.
"Oh," she said, with a hint of dismay.
"Well, that was a while ago," I piped up from over by the sink, where I was loading last night's dinner plates into the dishwasher. "If we're really going to spend three hours skating, you'll need some more food before we go. Have a bowl of cereal or something."
"Okay," he agreed, reaching for the Life. I'm not sure if it was the disappointment in Josie's voice, or the way I whipped around from the sink to watch him pick up the cereal box, but he suddenly froze with the Life poised over his bowl, eyes swiveling suspiciously from me to Josie.
I hadn't seen that look on anyone's face since the spring of 1990, when my friend Dave walked into McCabe library leading a group of prospective students and parents on a tour of our college campus. He had just enough time to register that there were rather more people than usual hanging out on the first floor of the library that morning... and that a significant number of them were friends of his... and that they all looked up just a little too quickly from the card catalog drawers they had been perusing so nonchalantly when he walked in, and Oh right, it was April First, before two bandana'd young men came tearing down the stairs, wrestled him to the floor, and carried him sideways right out the front door.
As Dave's cries grew fainter and the prospective parents gaped (the high schoolers were mostly delighted), another tour guide stepped forward out of the crowd and seamlessly completed the sentence Dave had faltered in the middle of: "-- over a million volumes, including the Peace Collection downstairs..." He was drowned out by thunderous applause before he got much further than that.
So there was Simon, sitting at the kitchen counter with Dave's look of dawning realization on his face, wondering what on earth was going to come pouring out of the Life box into his bowl. In that brief suspenseful moment we wished we'd had time to come up with something really spectacular -- a hundred hot-pink superballs, a swarm of dragonflies, a miniature fog-machine -- before the anti-climactic reality emerged.
Yes, it's true: Life is a bowl of... Cheerios.


4 comments:
i love it!
did you take a pic of Simons room?
Michaela,
Thanks so much for posting this. The number of people who claimed to be on that tour in the next class was, of course, wildly disproportionate to the 7 families that were on the tour.
Western Dave
I used to love hearing about the pranks you all got up to at Swarthmore. Nice to see the tradition is continuing to the next generation!
Hi Mikala,
This isn't about this post, but I have not been able to find your email anywhere, so thought I would try to reach you through comments. I am a mom of one, soon to be two in the Orcas neighborhood and your recent RVP posting on the funding nightmare made a big impression on me. I also was appalled at how seemingly easy it was to raise $500k in 48 hours for Seattle fireworks. I have an idea to try to bring these two elements together. I would love to set up a brief meeting with you to bounce a few ideas and see what your input might be. My email is andrea@andreajwalker.com
Hope to hear from you!
Andrea
Post a Comment