Thursday, April 29, 2010

Spotted in the Safeway Parking Lot Tuesday Night



Looks like the "YES" box has been checked -- the one with the :) under it, see? But the question remains: Yes to What?

Answer: This.



Ah... Yes.

As I snapped a couple of pictures before dashing into the store to pick up pop and cups for the AKCHO Awards Ceremony, I flashed back to a brief period in the early '90s when my friend David and I got a hold of some white shoe polish at the drug store and wandered around at night putting slogans on the rear windows of our friends' cars. We started out simple: "Danielle Rocks the Mike." Then we wrote "Mark Drinks Milk" on the window of a bike-messenger friend who regularly inhaled whole packs of Oreos and washed them down with quarts of the white stuff: Mark didn't have a car, but I could reach his bedroom window by sitting on David's shoulders. (It is somewhat remarkable to me that we weren't arrested, now that I think about it.)

From then on we declared, with that silly-yet-serious intensity that sometimes develops late at night when you're twenty-three -- and other times too, if you're lucky -- that anything that couldn't be expressed in three words wasn't worth saying. To prove it, we wrote our new maxim on Pauls' rear windshield: "THREE WORDS SUFFICE." (Miss you, Paul.)

These Garfield* teens seem to be carrying on that proud tradition.  I sure hope they have the time of their lives at Prom. And that they continue to surprise each other -- and the rest of us -- with visually dazzling, verbally streamlined messages of affection for years to come.

*Purple and white, right?

No comments: