Thursday, September 30, 2010

Middle School Jujitsu: Josie's Anti-Bullying Policy

I was in art class this morning, and this one girl is always like, "Tuna! How are you, Tuna?" And she gets her friends to say it too: "Hello, Tuna! Welcome to our humble abode, Tuna! Tuna, Tuna, Tuna!" I've been trying to figure it out for like, the longest time. I was thinking it might be about Jim from "The Office," because he's tall and they call him the Big Tuna. But then I asked them if they watch "The Office" and they yelled at me and got really mad. Well, today they finally they told me, "It's because you smell like tuna!"

Well, that's just not.... true. I don't smell like tuna. I don't even think they think I smell like tuna. I think they're just trying to make me worry that I smell like tuna. (Or maybe there's something wrong with their noses, like a hysterical pregnancy.) But I'm not worried, because I just don't smell like tuna. Who smells like tuna? It's not, like, a thing to smell like tuna.

So I pointed out to them that in order to have a truly effective insult, the overarching concept has to be based on a person's actual insecurities. I even wrote them a note:

Here, let me make some suggestions about how to insult me more effectively in future:

I am too tall.
My hair is too frizzy.
I am nerdy.
My shoes are clunky.
My mom is weird. [They have no idea. -- Ed.]
I am a slow runner.
I am fatter than some people on the planet.
I am not as good at rollerderby as some people.
My eyes are gray. [Honey, your eyes are blue. -- Ed.]
I listen to old music.
I am bossy sometimes.

So now, if she uses anything that's on that list, then it really doesn't work because I told her to do that, so I can say, "Good one! I'm glad you took my advice -- that's a lot better!" And anything that's not on that list is going to be like, "You look like papier mache," which is not going to make me feel bad because it's just ridiculous.

13 comments:

KWild said...

Tell Josie that that is so perfect I can't even believe it. Way to go, girl! And can you please explain all that to my 9-year old, who takes verbal insults very personally (and hard)?

Elizabeth said...

Josie you rock!

Unknown said...

Josie, you are so cool. and you mom is only weirder than some people on the planet. But who's not?

Unknown said...

Why did that say I was the bakery when I tried to leave my comment??? It's just Lauren, damnit.

Scott R said...

Maybe it's jujitsu, but it's also Gandhi:

"They cannot take away our self-respect if we do not give it to them."

Way to go.

Mikala said...

@Lauren, I kind of like being declared weirder than some people on the planet by the entire Bakery, as a kind of Corporate Statement.

andrew said...

Josie you are the best! -Dad

BTW does anyone know what a tuna smells like? I understand they swim about 40 mph so it's probably pretty hard to get a wiff.

LG said...

Brilliant!

claire beck-keeler said...

Josie, You totally rock! You need your own show!

Kaya said...

Josie, I totally love you. You are awesome.

Susan said...

Just read this to my 7-year old daughter, who was being called "pie face" at school. I'm not sure she really understood it all, but gave me a huge grin and hug and seemed to feel all better. Thanks Josie, for being the big sister my Clara needed today.

Steve and Jan said...

Hi Josie,

This is your Aunt Jan in Carmichael, Ca. I like your anti-bullying policy. Girls can be mean.

Also the pie video was a lot of fun! Happy October, the best month of the year. Love, Jan

Irene! said...

Your awesome Josie Bean! I just wanted to remind everybody.